Athletics Delegates Approve 2020 Calendar of Events, Budget

0

Monrovia – The 2020 Calendar of Events of the Liberia Athletics Federation (LAF) has been unanimously approved by delegates during the 61st General Assembly held on Saturday, November 30.

The 2020 LAF’s calendar comprised of 18 events — 10 local, seven international competitions and the 2020 Congress (62nd General Assembly).

The local events include, National Time Trials in Monrovia (December 14, 2019); Anti-Doping Workshop (Date and Venue To Be Arranged); Armed Forces Day 10km Run in Nimba County (February 11) Inter-Schools Championship in Monrovia (March 5-6); and Tubmanburg 10km Run in Bomi County (March 15).

Other local competitions are National Time Trials in Monrovia (April 4); National Clubs Championship in Monrovia (June 27); Kid Athletics Championship in Monrovia (August 24); Monrovia Marathon 10km Run (August 29), and the National University Championship (November 13 – 14). The LAF 62nd General Assembly is November 28, 2020, also in Monrovia.

The approved 2020 LAF’s calendar of events also comprised of international competitions, including the CAA Africa Cross Country Championship (March 1, Togo); World Athletics Indoor Championship (March 13-15, China); and the ECOWAS’ U20 Championship (April, Togo).

The remaining international events are the African Senior Championships (Algeria), World Athletics U20 Championships (July 7-12, Kenya); and Olympic Games (July 24 – August 9, Japan).

Meanwhile, the LAF delegates have also approved the 2020 LAF budget in the tune of US$54,042.66.

Huge trunks of contributions to support the 2020 LAF budget, comprising 75%, are from World Athletics and Athletics Olympics, while the remaining 25% are from the Government Budget Allotment (Grants) to Athletics; Registrations, Balances, and other Grants.

“This budget is a projection and we expect the government of Liberia, business institutions as well as philanthropists to help us sponsor our competitions and run the LAF,” Mr. Mulbah Zaza said after Congress Resolution, which was adopted.

“We want to be extremely grateful to the World Athletics and the CAA for their supports and also want to use the opportunity to thank the clubs and players for the continuous collaborations and support including the executive committee.”

Since 2014, the government has not provided subsidy to the LAF, and if provided in 2020, it will rarely be the first time in six years.

Comments
Loading...