Liberian Senate Finds No Evidence of Allegations of Embezzlement
Monrovia – A statement issued by the Senate Press Bureau last Friday averred that there hasn’t been any act of corruption by any Senator or group of Senators as it was reported in the media over the past days.
Report by Henry Karmo – [email protected]
Untamed rumor on the inability of three members of the Liberian Senate to account for over US$300,000 intended for payment of Senators and their staffs for the extraordinary sitting has been refuted by the leadership of the Senate.
Senators Geraldine Doe-Sheriff, Chairman of the Executive Committee; Edward B. Dagoseh, Chairman of the Ways, Means, Finance & Budget Committee and Peter Coleman were accused of pocketing the money by their colleagues in the Senate.
The Senate immediately setup an investigative committee to probe the three Senators over the alleged embezzlement.
Last Thursday, the Senate held an unusual session in which they stayed behind closed door up to 7:00 PM discussing the alleged saga.
However, all indications show that Senate preyed on baseless rumors without seeking facts before setting up the investigative committee.
A statement issued by the Senate Press Bureau last Friday averred that there hasn’t been any act of corruption by any Senator or group of Senators as it was reported in the media over the past days.
The investigative committee last Thursday informed Plenary that contrary to the widely held perception, only 50 per cent of the expected amount (US$420,000 – expected amount) was given to the trio for disbursement.
The information was confirmed by the Ministry of Finance & Development Planning and its Integrated Financial Management Information System (IFMIS), which raised the voucher for the 50 per cent payment.
Document in the procession of FrontPageAfrica reveals that voucher for payment of the second installment of US$21,000.00 was raised last Friday, November 25, 2016.
Disbursement of First Installment
- Total Amount – US$210,000.00
- President Pro-Tempore – US$7,500.00
- Senate Leadership (8 Senators – US$6,000 per Senator) – US$48,000.00
- Category 1 (5 Senators @ US$4,500) – US$22,000.00
- Category 2 (6 Senators @ US$4,000) – US$24,000.00
- Category 3 (10 Senators @ US$3,500) – US$35,000.00
- Secretariat 1 – US$1,500.00
- Secretariat 2 – US$1,000.00
- Public Accounts Committee – US$5,775
- Staff (Pro-Tempore) – US$4,268
- Staff (Senate & Central Administration) – US$50,000.00
- Senate Operation Expense – US$10,457.00