IE Wins First Game – Nimba United Beaten At Home by BYC


Monrovia – Van-Dave Harmon scored the only goal for the defending Champions at North Star Stadium against Nimba United, in their final match of the first phase of the Liberia Football Association First Division league.

BYC’s win Sunday over United took their points of the first phase to 21, and into 2nd place, seven points, behind league leaders Fassell FC.

The visitors took the lead in the 71st minute when Van-Dave raced unto Hilton Varney’s through ball, and hammered the ball into the roof of the net.

Mustapha Lormell should have leveled the score with a header from six yards out, but missed, though visitors BYC created more chances, despite their plenty of possessions.

Randy Dukuly could have made more comfortable for Copper Sannah’s side when his header kissed the crossbar, ending a run of two games without a win in the league.

Nimba United missed the chance to move up the twelve teams table from seventh to fourth, after their second defeat at home this season; they remain seventh on the log with 15 points.

Five minutes into the match the inform Nimba United winger Stanley Whitfield right foot shot was save by Allenton Sembeh.

A minute later Van-Dave missing goal continue as he missed a one on one with United Keeper Edmund Borloh .

Van-Dave and Abdulai Bility had a “one/two” connection deep in United’s half but Van-Dave’s shot went wild.

Whitfield dangerous pace down the left flank was consistently intercepted by the returning BYC right back Karleo Anderson.

26th minute United Captain Michael Fahnbulleh was yellow carded for pulling down Randy Dukuly a minute later David Tweh was booked for similar foul on Mustapha Lormall.

Darlington Suwo was introduced in the 35th minute for the injured Karsini Konneh.

Randy Missed an empty post from four yards, to the disbelief of spectators at North Stadium.

38th minute of the first half BYC Abdulai Bility was replaced by Abraham Koffa Dougbeh due to an injury  he sustained.

There had been a sense that BYC’s performance has improved but scoring goals seems to be a major problem for them this season without the results particularly in the league – following suit.

But this was an assured display, coupled with a positive result, and will give Sannah hopes that his side can now build on the troubling run of two draws.

A defeat would have proven extremely costly to the “Go Blue Boys” hopes of claiming the Championship they won last season, and would have put them ten points behind Fassell FC.

Nimba United produced very little, despite their command of the ball, but it was BYC who were the more dangerous side through the attacking pace of David Tweh, Van-Dave and Randy Dukuly. Including Abdulai Bility’s neat passing and Tweh’s link-up play.

But it was left back Hilton Varney who created the goal, dispossessing Terrance Jones from the wing of the park, releasing Van-Dave who control the ball well and blast the ball in the top roof of the United goal. Randy showed occasional signs of menace, forcing a fine save from Nimba United keeper Edmund Borloh after his header hit against the woodwork.

It was all lined up to be the perfect afternoon for Van-Dave, who has not score for the “Blue Boys” since their meeting with IE when he scored a hat trick but turned around his fortunes to increase his goal tally to six goals in the league and three assists.

Sannah told reporters after the match that Bility injury was not very serious, and expects him to be back in time for their next game of the season against SuperSport United of South African in the CAF Cup next month, at home on April 9, 2017.

Ability’s absence could open up a return to the side for Claudius Morris, who was an unused substitute against LISCR FC in their disappointing draw at the Blue Field, while Sylvanus Morris and Junior Barshall could also be options.

What went wrong for United?

It was a disappointing end to a positive week for Abraham Sessay, who is in charge of the Mountaineers for the rest of the season.

Sessay took over from Emmanuel Kaykay who resigned as head coach of United after three months with the Mountaineers due to allege interference on technical matters from the Adolphus Dolo President and owner of Nimba United.  

He noted that his defense should be held responsible for his team’s defeat because they did not play to instructions.

“I feels disappointed because since I left BYC this is the first time for them to beat me in a match, but that’s football”.

BYC is a tough team they give us tough time but we are going to bounce back stronger during the second phase.

 Meanwhile in the only game at the Antoinette Tubman Liberia’s Oldest Football Club Invincible Eleven (IE) secure their first win of the season over ELWA United.

IE who are currently in the relegation Zone defeated eight men ELWA United 4-0.

The boys from ELWA started the match with nine men and were reduced to eight men in the 43rd minute when they were down 4-0.

The game had to be caught off due to three injured players of ELWA United as central referee  Christopher Nylander, because the rules of the game states that five players cannot start or continue a game.

Sunday result means IE remains in the relegation zone with four points from eleven matches.

Report by Christopher Walker [email protected]