Champions LPRC Oilers Held, Freeport FC Begins 1st Division Campaign with Win as LISCR FC Drops Points


Match-day two in the Liberia Football Association’s national league saw some exciting matches as Champions LPRC Oilers continue her unbeaten run with a draw, while LISCR FC forced NPA Anchor to a draw and FreePort opened their top flight account with a win.

LPRC Oilers 1-1 Nimba United

Champions LPRC Oilers were forced to a frustrating draw against Nimba United at the Antoinette Tubman Stadium in Monrovia despite extending their unbeaten records of 24 matches.

LPRC Oilers’ Coach, Cooper Sannah, returning to the touchline following his recent engagement with the Liberian U-20 national team in Guinea, deployed a  stronger side against a United side that they did won twice last season.

But following a goalless halftime, the Oil Boys took the lead through Alvin Maccornel’s 61st minute header from a Daniel Woto brilliant pass.

But LPRC Oilers, which maintained 16 clean sheets in all competitions last season, failed to do it in their two matches as Nimba United found the equalizer through last season’s joined top scorer Varney Dukuly, who dispatched from the penalty spot in the 85th minutes to secure a point for his side.

Freeport FC 1-0 Bea Mountain

At the Doris Williams Sports Stadium in Buchanan, two newly promoted sides, Freeport FC and Bea Mountain locked horns against each other but it was Freeport FC, who waited until match day two to kick-start her top flight action begging all three points.

The port-based club’s first match, in the league against LISCR FC, was suspended following LISCR FC’s players’ participation in the WAFU U-20 tournament in Guinea.

But it was former LISCR FC defender Kemoh Kamara, who recently joined Bea Mountain, who netted in a three-minute own goal that gave Freeport FC all three points.

LISCR FC 1-1 NPA Anchors

LISCR FC came from a goal down to force NPA Anchors to 1-1 draw at the

Antoinette Tubman Stadium in Monrovia.

Darlington Lynch grabbed the opener for Anchors in the 51st minutes following a goalless first half.

But LISCR FC leveled proceedings through Dirkir Glay in the 63rd minute to rescue a point for the Shipping boys.

Watanga FC 2-0 Small Tow

Watanga FC returned to winning ways following a 2-0 victory over Small Town whose saw Friendson Saydenuh sent-off in the 90th minute for two bookable offenses at the Blue Field.

Watanga FC and Nimba FC settled to a goalless draw on match day one but put the open day nightmare behind as in form Farsedu Logan put his side ahead in the 35th minute with breathtaking free-kick.

After the interval, former dissolved Barrack Young Controller’s defender, Samir Kamara doubled the hosts’ lead with a brilliant strike from Albert Corvah’s assist in the 65th minute.

Nimba FC 0-0 Nimba Kwado

The Nimba derby match ended in a goalless stalemate as Nimba FC and Nimba Kwado drew a blank in Sanniquellie.

Monrovia Club Breweries 1-0 Mighty Barrolle

Monrovia Club Breweries’ goalkeeper, Abdulai Koulibaily was the hero as the Beer Boys registered their first league win against traditional boys Mighty Barrolle.

Festus Blapoh, who returned from WAFU U-20 tournament in Guinea with Liberia put the Beer Boys ahead in the 28th minute but Mighty Barrolle won a penalty with 70th minutes on the clock but with the moment of panicked, goalkeeper Koulibaily made a brilliant save from Augustus Tangunyou to secure all three points for the hosts at the Nancy Doe Stadium in Kakata City.