Small Town Grabs First League Win against FC Fassell

Small Town FC

Monrovia – Small Town bounced back from the defeat against Watanga to secure the first league win after their 2-1 victory against FC Fassell at the Antoinette Tubman Stadium.

Report by Jaheim T. Tumu – [email protected]

Anthony Kelgbeh making his first league start smashed home from close range in the 19th minute to put Small Town ahead, but Perfect Dean perfectly slotted in after Small Town’s goalkeeper Vamba Koroma’s dreadful error on the stroke of half-time to level procedure.

But Substitute Boakai Balo headed home a late winner 94th minute on the clock to secure all three points for the home side.

FC Fassell was on the brink of securing her first ever First Division title in the 2017 league season but were prevented after a 12-point deduction, when arch-rival LISCR FC filed a complaint against them.

The Soccer Missionaries then withdrew their participation in the 2018 league 72 hours to the start of the competition due to serious financial crisis facing the club as the CEO, Cassell Kouh remains incarceration in a US prison.

FC Fassell returned to league action in the 2019 league with 3-1 defeat in Kakata City against LPRC Oilers.

They were back at the ATS against Small Town, which is struggling in the league having lost 3-1 to Watanga on the opening day of the campaign.

But Small Town almost grabbed the match opener in the 15th minute when Namie Yancy found Friendson Saydenuh, who created space for himself before firing a lovely effort on target from 20 yard but FC Fassell’s goalkeeper Joseph Gavflouzee palmed it away for corner.

But Small Town only had to wait three minutes to take the lead through Keigbeh’s lovely finish from close range after Emmanuel Zomplue’s delicious cross down the flank.

Yancy had the chance to increase the scoreline when Kofi Frepong released the midfielder but he blasted his effort wide in the 35th minute.

The Soccer Missionaries fought back for an equalizer and it came through a dreadful error from goalkeeper Koroma after naively giving away the ball to Dean, who wasted no time to nod home with a coolly finish in the 44th minute.

After the interval, Small Town almost paid for leaving their defense exposed and substitute Benny Tisdell was put through on goal with goalkeeper Koroma but with only the goalkeeper to beat the winger opted to chip the ball and the goalkeeper made a comfortable save in the 46th minute.

Small Town had plenty of chances as Trokon Yancy twice went close to scoring but could not hold his nerve.

But Small Town’s substitute Balo grabbed the late winner with a diving header after an in-swing cross from Thomas Johnson that the forward raised in the 94th minute to put smile on the face of Coach Gray Haizel.

Meanwhile, Watanga early on defeated Monrovia Club Breweries 1-0 in the 2pm kick-off.  James Konuwa came off the bench to nod home from 6-yard from Farsedu Logan rebounded effort.