Liberia: LISCR FC Wins “Who Owns the Land Tournament”


Monrovia – LISCR FC secured a narrow 1-0 victory over Barrack Young Controllers II to win the Liberia Football Association “Who Owns the Land Tournament” at the Antoinette Tubman Stadium. 

Christopher Jackson’s 71st minute strike from a poor goalkeeping error by Morlik Keita, ensured the Shipping Boys sealed the pre-season tournament with a cash prize of L$200,000.

The match was postponed due to some players from both clubs involvement in the African Cup of Nations preliminary round qualifiers and the West Africa Football Union tournament in Senegal. 

The match started on a slow pace until the 20th minute when Edward Ledlum’s powerful shot brought the game alive but Barrack Young Controllers’ goalkeeper Keita made right foot saved. 

Three minutes late, BYC’s Irvin Gbotoe curved a low effort from the far left corner but goalkeeper Ashley Williams was up to the occasion to deny the forward. 

The Go Blue Boys nearly took the lead through Jestino Jackson after he received a sloppy back pass from Benjamin Doe that put the forward one on one with goalie Williams who dispossessed the forward in the 27th minute. 

LISCR FC’s counter attack through Mickey Morgan, who beat two defenders, before finding C. Jackson but the shot from over the ark was blocked by Mehnpaine Dolo in the 28th minute. And C. Jackson was denied once again by goalie Keita following Ledlum’s chest pass in the 34th minute.

But as the first half drew to climax, the Go Blue’s forward J. Jackson fired in a thunderbolt but his effort was tipped over by goalie Williams in the 46th minute. 

The Go Blue Boys returned to the second half on the same note as they ended the first and J Jackson effort was blocked by LISCR FC’s defender Michael Temeh came to his side’s rescue in the 57th minute. 

J. Jackson then took an ambitious effort from the goal area and it was palmed out for corner by Williams in the 67th minute. 

But the Shipping Boys almost got something out of nothing with Morgan approximately 22-yard frivolous effort but BYC II were rescued by the woodwork in the 68th minute.  

Following Morgan’s missed, C. Jackson fired LISCR FC in the lead with his seventh goal of the tournament after goalie Keita missed pass was intercepted by the forward who buried the ball into the back of the net on 71st minute.