Liberia: Champions BYC Ends Tony FC’s Unbeaten Run


Monrovia – Barrack Young Controller II ended Tony FC’s unbeaten run in the Orange Sponsored Liberia Football Association’s Second Division League with a 3-1 win after coming from behind at home.

Liberia’s Under-20 midfielder, Fredrick Dennis opened the scoring for the visitors, Tony FC, on a counter-attack just before half time when he was set up in an unmarked position.

The “Go Blue Boys” of BYC II started the match like hunting dogs putting their last defeat to Muscat FC behind them as they created several opportunities but could not hit the back of the net.

Darius McGee had two clear chances to put the Blues in front but his close range shots hit the goal post. He also had other opportunities but sent the ball far from goal twice after being put through by Mark Gibson, who disorganized Tony FC’s back four.

Last season’s top goal scorer, Jestino Jackson, who scored 20 goals, missed a clear chance for BYC. His presence, however, was needed in the game as he prevented Solomon Zeah, a Tony FC’s talisman, from attacking. Jackson was always cautious of the attacker he had a beautiful three seasons playing along with at BYC.

Tony, who paraded five former players of BYC II — David Paye, Julius Quellie, Solomon Zeah, Titus Yeah and Prince Sannah — showed class why they are league leaders with good ball distributions and could have opened the scoring sooner than they did with a shot from former BYC man David Paye; but it was saved by Selike Kromah and Kortu Brown blocked Frederick Dennis’ shot that could have resulted into a goal.

Tony Shilley and Sebastian Teclar combined well on the left flank of BYC to create few open plays but Jackson, Gbotoe, and McGee did not calculate well to give the home side the lead and they had to pay for their lack of concentration in front of goal when Dennis put Tony FC ahead just before the end of the first half.

Back from the break, Mouctar Fofana’s men approached the match with much intensity and they could not be resisted by the Margibi County-based team as Jackson was set up by Gibson after disposing two defenders before rolling the ball for Jackson, who only had the emptied goal in front of him, to level things for the champions.

Joseph Nimely gave BYC the lead from the penalty spot in the 69th minute at the Blue Field when Gibson was fouled in the box.

Before BYC took the lead, Jackson blasted a rebounded ball in the arms of the Tony FC’s keeper after Nimely’s fantastic free kick was saved.

Later, 15-year-old Mark Gibson, who was cheered by fans and Liberia’s head Coach Peter Butler, was taken off the pitch injured after a reckless tickle on him by Laster Boyd of Tony FC. The foul did not stop the home side from pushing forward as Jerry Sidi got his first goal with a shot from close range for the club. This killed any hope Tony FC had to equalize.

The win puts BYC II to the 4th spot with 15 points, which means they are five points behind Tony FC. They are two points below Gardnerville FC in second and one point behind Jubilee in third in an increasingly tight fight for the promotion spot.

”We started very high, maybe it was a backlash from Saturday’s defeat at Muscat FC,” Coach Fofana said. ”But we created chances and when they got the first goal, it became a different game. We created so many chances today than when we beat Monrovia Club Breweries in the Petro Trade Cup. Sometimes it happens; we hit the woodwork and had five very big chances in the first half. It was a great way to bounce back from two unexpected defeats to Stages FC and Muscat FC. 

“We now have to keep this form; my players showed class by coming from behind to win in a brilliant fashion. To be champions, you must be prepared because everyone’s wish is to beat you and that is what happening. But we are determined to defend our title,” Fofana vowed.

BYC’s next match is at home to Mighty Blue Angles on Saturday at the Blues field.

In other matches played, Muscat FC could not continue their winning form like they did against BYC II but lost to Gardnersville FC 4-1 at Blues field early kickoff.

Mighty Blue Angels got a narrow 1-0 win over Keitrace FC as Fassell FC surfer a 1-0 defeat to Junior Professionals while in Nimba, Almighty FC and Heaven Eleven played out to a goalless draw.

Rejuvenated Stages dumped Sandi FC, who is at the bottom of the table 4-1 to move up to seventh place and Jubilee secured a 3-2 win over Jai FC to move to third place.