County Meet Enters Quarter Finals : Cape Mount vs Maryland, Rivergeeee vs Montserrado


Monrovia – The last matches in the quarter finals round robin in the 2016/2017 national county sports meet will begin January 4 at the Antoinette Tubman Stadium (ATS).

Report by Macaulay Sombai,  [email protected]

Contrary to international best practice (including at Fifa, Caf and Uefa), the last matches in the groups will not be played simultaneously, leaving the possibilities of match fixing and or sympathy open.

In kickball, Grand Gedeh, who reportedly withdrew due to a lack of finance, is expected to meet Margibi at 10:00AM and Montserrado will take on Maryland at midday in Group A.

In football, Grand Cape Mount will take on Maryland at 2:00PM and River Gee will knock boots with Montserrado at 4:00PM.

Maryland, who has a superior goal advantage, is leveled with Montserrado on four points from two matches and must avoid defeats to progress to the semifinals respectively.

A win for Cape Mount and River Gee, who have a point from two games respectively, will leave the group to be decided on goal difference, goals for and head to head.

In Group B, Nimba will take on Lofa at 2:00PM and Margibi will go head to head with defending champions Grand Bassa at 4:00PM in football on Thursday.

Margibi lead the table with four points and need at least a draw to progress to the semis.

Nimba and Grand Bassa, who have two points respectively, will qualify with a win each.

Lofa, who have a point, could make the semis with a victory of more than three goals and depending on other results.

The group could also be decided on goal difference, goals for and head to head.

On December 29, 2016, Cape Mount lost 0-1 to Montserrado while Maryland defeat River Gee 2-0 at the ATS.

On December 30, 2016, Margibi overpowered Lofa 2-0 while Grand Bassa forced Nimba to a 1-1 draw at the ATS.

Striker Joe Siebah opened the score in the sixth minute from a spot kick and Moses Korbah sealed the win in the 83rd minute for a team, who failed to score or win before their victory.

In game two, Nimba took the lead in the 68th minute through a penalty kick after a defender of Bassa was booked for handball but Bassa leveled in the 85th minute from a spot kick.

Substitute Mark Sammie was obstructed from reaching the ball by William Seigbeh of Nimba and Toger Goffah buried the penalty.