Angry Protesters Burn Down Police Stations, Magisterial Court In Margibi County


MONROVIA – STORY UPDATED: Some angry residents of Weala Town, Margibi County early Monday morning set ablaze two police stations as they protest the death of a 21-year-old motorcyclist, who was found dead early March this year in the area.

Report by Yawah Y. Jaivey, Contributor

The protesters also burned down the Baypolu Magisterial Court and police station along with the home of one Dalla Briggs who has been alleged of having a link to the murder of the late motorcyclist.

The Protesters also blocked the Suakoko Highway with burning tyres on the asphalt pavement. 

The Monday morning protest earlier saw the burning of another home and business center belonging to a man identified as Stephen Tokpa.

Tokpa, a prominent businessman of Weala Town, is being accused by motorcyclists and residents for the alleged murder of the motorcyclist identified as Moses Wolopaye.

They claim that an identification card of Tokpa was found on the crime scene but the police was doing little to investigate him. This information has not been independently verified by journalists in the county.

The protest was earlier staged by commercial cyclists but was later joined by other enraged residents, thus blowing the situation out of control.

Wolopaye alia ‘PCK’, according to family sources, reportedly went missing on March 1, and his lifeless body was discovered March 6, with parts extracted.

Police had said they have launched an investigation into the incident, but the angry protesters stormed the first police station and burned it down before moving to Baypolu Town.

Baypolu Town is at the outskirt of the Salala Rubber Corporation plantation in Margibi County. 

It can be called that on March 28, the leaderships of motorcycle unions of Weala Town presented a position statement to the authorities of Wiah Clan and Margibi County in demand of justice for the death of their colleague.

“Since Wolopaye dead body was found, no one to the best of our knowledge is undergoing investigation and no concrete action is being taken by the local authorities. Up to present no suspect is in police custody and we continue to hear the names of people through gossip that are connected to the murder but are walking free with impunity.” The cyclists’ leaderships noted.

The cyclists then urged the Government of Liberia to promptly ensure that the suspects are brought to justice, threatening that if the government fails to do so their next course of action could be unfavorable.

Officers of the Liberia National Police and Liberia Immigration Service dispatched from the regional security hub in Gbarnga, Bong County struggled to calm down the protest as the situation remain tense as the free flow of traffic on the Suakoko High was stilled for nearly four hours.

However, clam returned in the area through the efforts of a contingent of police officers of the police support unit of the Liberia National Police.

At the same time, the Deputy Inspector General of the Liberia National Police has disclosed that more than 100 persons have been arrested in connection to the Monday violent protest.

DIG Robert Budy Sr. promised that the police intervention will remain in force until total calm returned.